How To Measure Your KitchenTips for getting the perfect fit
If you would like one of our IKEA™ design experts to create the layout for your new kitchen, we have some tips for how to correctly measure your kitchen space. Try to be as accurate as possible, which will ensure that your kitchen layout is perfect and everything fits correctly.
Because we design your kitchen around you, we’re very interested in how you use your space. How do you cook? Which aspects of your kitchen are the most important to you? Are you a baker? Someone who likes to entertain often? When you contact us, please be sure to tell us about yourself and how you envision your perfect kitchen. We also request that you send us an email with photos of your space and some design ideas that you like.
Walls & Floors
- Measure from the floor to ceiling and from wall to wall.
- Measure from the corners to the trim of the door. Please see Figure 1.
- Make a record of anything that protrudes into the room such as radiators, ventilation, pipes, etc.
- Make note of any major architectural features or special angles.
Figure 1: Taking measurements for kitchen walls and floors.
Doors & Windows
- Measure the size of the doors and windows and include the trim when measuring. Please provide measurements for height and width.
- Measure the distance of each door and window from the floor, ceiling and wall edges. Please see Figure 2.
- Make note of which way all of the doors and windows swing open, including sinks, stoves, refrigerators, etc.
- Make note of where all of your large appliances are and provide measurements for the height and width of each. This will help us understand where existing utility lines are for water, gas, air, etc. These can be moved to suit your new design.
- Mark down the approximate positions of where you would like your new appliances to be located.
Figure 2: Taking measurements for kitchen doors and windows.
New / Replacement Door Fronts
- For replacement doors and drawer fronts, simply measure the existing fronts and provide exact measurements for height and width. Your custom doors from Dendra Doors will fit exactly the same.
- For custom door fronts for a new kitchen, simply send us your IKEA Home Planner and we will get your measurements from there.